Sunday 16 December 2018

Clematis and Bindweed

Hi all,
I am concentrating my artistic output at the moment on graphite pencil. I don't know why, but for some reason graphite is floating my boat. I also like the fact that there is no need to mix colours. The materials are simple, I just use five pencils, an erasure and some blue tack. It is very simple and satisfying.

The drawing below of a clematis is the first in a series of 3 images that I am doing which will all feature a flower growing on some trellis.


 I have been drawing on Bristol board because I find it easier to get fine details, but for this drawing and the rest in the series I'm using Arches hot pressed watercolour paper. I can't get the same level of detail with this paper but I can get darker blacks. For the darkest tone I have used a Derwent 9B. The other pencils I used were, 3B,B, H and 2H.

I am hoping that Santa brings me a set of Steadler Mars 100 lumograph pencils for Christmas and then I can get back to the Bristol board and hopefully maintain a really dark black. There is nothing wrong with the Derwent 9B and Archies combination but the deatail isn't quite so sharp.
Here's the second drawing in the series of some bindweed.
I hope you like the drawings, any comments or question are welcome..

No comments:

Post a Comment