Monday 21 July 2014

No Pride

Hi all,
I have begun the process of proofreading my new book 'The Reluctant Pom' during breaks from renovating our kitchen. I can only wish that the work on the kitchen was going as well as the book.

I spent most of last week removing wallpaper, a task which was made much harder by the fact that the previous occupier had decided to take the easy way out and paper over paper. In total, I had to scrap off 5 layers to get down to the plaster. The stuff was stuck like a tic to a terrier, which made me consider using a steamer. However, I quickly recalled the incident that happened last time I tried one and knocked the idea on the head. Memories of a shed load of plaster falling off the wall and into my bath will never leave me.

I know that some people have no pride in their work, but even I was astounded by what I found when I removed some of the wall paper. Take a look and see what you think.


I couldn't believe it when I pulled the paper back, but there it was, a piece of tin that could have come from an old biscuit tin. It had been stuck into a hole with some horrible rubber cement. It was half covered the kitchen cupboard which must have been put up after the hole was blocked.

On closer examination, I discovered that they must have decommissioned a gas boiler and used the tin to block up the hole.

What sort of person would do that? whoever it was they certainly didn't have any pride. I had to take down the end cupboard before I could even start to sort out the mess.
Ah well, it will give me something to do when my eyes get tired of proofreading.

No comments:

Post a Comment