Sunday 15 November 2015

Bluebell Wood

Hi all,
I'm sure that if I can improve my drawing skills I will also make improvements to my watercolour paintings, so I decided to draw a bluebell wood and use it for the subject of my next painting.

Many artists believe that doing a pencil drawing of a subject first has certain advantages. Firstly, it allows you to sort out the tones so that you have more chance of getting them right in the painting stage. I am sure you have heard the experts talk about establishing the lightest lights and the darkest darks in their paintings, well doing a drawing up front allows you to accomplish this task.

Secondly, doing a drawing up front gives you a chance to become familiar with your subject, which is never a bad thing.

Here's my drawing of the bluebell wood.
It isn't bad, but to be honest, by the time I'd finished doing the drawing I gone off the idea of the painting altogether. I need to do something with fewer trees in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment