Saturday 5 December 2015

Inktense Pencils

Hi all,
I my last post I was telling you about how I enjoyed drawing with water soluble pencils. Well, I thought it would be nice to do a drawing with coloured watercolour pencils. To be honest I didn't do a new drawing for this exercise, I used Tracedown paper to copy the daffodil that I did for my previous painting. I was mostly interested in the colours and how easily they blended together.

 There is something about drawing first and then adding water that is an enjoyable process for me.
 The only problem is, I have tried drawing with ordinary water soluble colour pencils before and found that the finished result is a bit wishy washy. I don't like wishy washy paintings so I invested in a pack of 6 Derwent Inktense Pencils to see what they looked like. I was expecting bright strong hues and that is exactly what I got.

My first impressions are that they are easy to use and blend really well, but I'm afraid that the results are a bit to harsh for my liking. Here is a drawing I did of a daffodil, which gives you a fair idea of the intensity of the colour.
I think Inktense pencils are great if you are doing manga or comic images etc, but for the art I want to produce they are a bit too bright. If somebody could come up with a pencil that had a colour tone that is half way between a standard watercolour pencil and an Inktense pencil they might be onto a winner, at least with me.

One of these days I might try doing a bigger drawing with the Inktense pencils but for now I will reserve them for adding highlights, something they should be very useful for.

By the way, I purchased my Inktense pencils from the same place where I get all my other art materials called the SAA (Society for All Artists). If you haven't come across the SAA, it is well worth checking them out. I have been a member for over 6 months and would recommend them to anybody.

There is a low membership fee, but once that is paid you get free magazines and free postage just to mention a couple of the benefits. If you want to check them out here is a link to their website.

The next painting in my challenge will be along soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment