Monday 21 December 2015

Wild Flower

Hi all,
I am still of the mind that to be a good artist you need to be able to draw. This is a skill that I would like to improve upon and, to that end, I'm trying to do as much drawing as possible. I have tried keeping an art journal in the hope that would give me the motivation to draw every day but I find that, although my intentions are strong, my will power is pretty weak. It is much easier to sit in my chair and play with my kindle fire than it is to get some pen and paper out.

Still all is not lost, I have been watching an artist on Youtube called, Mark Crilley. He does some really amazing realistic drawings of everyday objects. I have ordered his BOOK "The Realism Challenge" and I shall start reading it at Christmas. I have to wait until then because I asked my wife to get it me for an extra present.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not aiming to be a super realistic type of artist, but I would like to gain an insight into how he does it so well. There must be lots of things that he does that can be used in the type of painting I want to do.

Here is a drawing/painting that I did recently.
It's okay, but it is a bit flat looking. It looks more like an illustration than a work of art.
That's not to say that illustrations aren't works of art, they clearly are, but I think you get my drift. Flowers don't all grow like they do in my drawing and the colours must be more subtle than my skills allow me to show. In fact, it did occur to me at the time that this picture would make a good lino print, but that is another story which I will relate to you in my next post.

If you use you tube, I would recommend checking out his video about the realism challenge. Then you will be able to see why I ordered his book.

I hope to get another post in before Christmas, but if I don't, I hope you have good un and manage to do some painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment