Monday 4 January 2016

Painting Number 11

Hi all,
Following on from the drawing I did of the dog roses, pictured below for a reminder,
I went on to paint it using a negative painting technique for the small leaves in the background. The process went like this.
I transferred part of the image onto the paper, leaving the smaller leaves out. Then I masked off the roses and the bigger leaves in the foreground and then after wetting the paper all over, I covered it with sap green lemon yellow and quinacridone gold of varying strengths. These colours would go on to be the colours of the smaller leaves in the background.

After waiting for it to dry I transferred the smaller leaves onto the paper with a pencil. I then whetted small areas of the paper and painted around the leaves with sap green, payne's grey and lemon yellow.

I have to say that this was the most enjoyable part of the process. Watching the leaves appear out of the background was great.

Once that was done I went on the paint the foreground leaves in similar colours and the dog roses with a mixture of pink, white and magenta.

 To make sense of my description above you might want to pop along and see this video clip which explains it simply and shows you where my inspiration came from. I only wish I could paint as well.
Here's my effort and I would have to say that I'm not impressed.
Score for this painting 18/20
Bad bits,
The background is too busy; should have been fewer leaves but bigger.
The main problem is the colour, it's just to bloody green. I think I might have to hide my tube of sap green or throw it out of the window and use something else.
Good bits
Some of the background and foreground leaves look quite good and would look even better if they weren't painted the same colour as the background
Oh well, on wards and upwards, well see what the next one looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment