Sunday 29 January 2017

The Torture Of Self Publishing

Hi all,
I think that self-publishing is a fantastic idea because it has given authors all over the world the chance to publish their own content. They have also been able to reap the rewards of their labours. Unfortunately, the good news ends there because self-publishing it is rapidly disappearing up its own exhaust pipe.

 I say this because I went onto Amazon the other day to see how many free books were available on their Kindle platform. What I found shocked even me. Of course I knew that there were a lot of books being offered for free because I do my own free book promotions from time to time. However, to find that there were over 74,000 books going for free is a figure not to be trifled with. Now don't go running away with the idea that these are all freebies from self-published authors because they are not. Amongst the offering are classics and best sellers from well known traditional publishers.

I was lucky in a way because I published a few books before the free book bandwagon started rolling, so I already have a following. For new authors however, the story is different because with so many freebies about it must be very difficult to make any sales at all. If 74,000 books are available free of charge, what chance does a new author have?

I don't know how this situation can possibly resolve itself, so self publishing with a view to making money is a foolish notion. I know that some people want to write for pleasure and there is nothing wrong with that, but to think there are riches to be made is a big mistake.

I bet that's cheered you would be authors up a bit on a cold January morning.

By the way, I've just designed and finished turning a lovely pen. Here is a picture so we can end on a bright note.


No comments:

Post a Comment