Thursday 5 January 2017

Illustration

Hi all,
I have been busy with my lathe turning pens, but I have also made time to do a bit of illustration for my wife's book called, "The Whoots."

Let's get one of the pens sorted first because I'm particularly proud of this effort. It was turned from maple into which I had inserted some coloured pencils. I had to sacrifice the ends of 5 of my Derwent Inktense pencils to do this project, but what the hell, it's all about art and creativity.

Here is the pen.
Luckily, I had drill bit that matched the pencils perfectly otherwise I wouldn't have been able to do it. The only real problem I came up against was during the sanding procedure. The sandpaper picked up the colour from the pencils and then deposited the pigment on to the bare wood. Eventually, I solved the issue by dripping some thin CA glue on the coloured pencil ends, it soaked in deep enough to seal the colour while I did the sanding. Hope you like it, I'd love to see your comments.

The illustration I did was for the front piece of my wife's book and therefore the first illustration. The book is about group of very small creatures (only milliminches high) who live in a hestimonium bush. Their houses are built onto branches within the bush and a serviced by a lift which goes up and down the centre of the trunk.

I've never done any illustrating before, but though it would give the reader as sense of where the creatures (Whoots) that the book is about actually live.
Just one last thing. My favourite book out of all the ones I've written, "Bossyboots" is free to download from Amazon until the 6th of January 2017. To get your free copy, just click on the books tab at the top of the page and then the book's cover. Please grab a copy while it is free and have a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment