Sunday 3 March 2019

Stamp Brushes

Hi all,
I have managed to find a few hours this week to start another digital painting on my ipad. I am still enjoying the process and I am more convinced than ever that I won't be going back to traditional art. I have found the benefits of digital art and the results to be amazing.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convince anybody to take up digital art because it is very expensive to get started. The purpose of this blog and the videos that accompany it are to show what can be done by a novice, and thus, giving anybody who is on the fence about taking up digital art, information that may allow them to make a well informed decision. To buy new, the investment required for a 10.5 inch ipad and pencil, plus software is almost £700.

I sold my airbrush and all the stuff that goes with it last week for a nice price so that has helped with my investment.

Right, let's get on with some art. Some of you will remember this pencil drawing I did of a clematis.
It turned out well. Quite realistic in fact and showed me what can be done with just a pencil and paper. However, it lacks colour, so I thought it would be a perfect candidate to see what I could do with the same image on my ipad. I also wanted to make it larger to test out the difficult of creating a bigger image on a small screen. The pencil sketch is 5 inches square and digital one I'm doing is 8 inches square.

The first thing I did was paint the trellis.
Now all I had to do was paint some leaves and the clematis flowers on it. The app I use for my art is called Procreate, which for £10 is incredibly powerful. It allows the artist to make their own brushes and I took full advantage of this by creating some stamp brushes. I used these to help me position, the leaves, flowers and buds in the best places on the painting. Sketching each one in by hand would have taken ages and there would have been discrepencies in size and shape.

I love being abole to create these brushes and use them to make a great image. I am only halfway through the painting but if you watch the video below, it will give you a taste of what can be achieved.

I've only had the ipad about 10 weeks but it has exceeded my expectations. If you have any question of comments please let me know. And, if you enjoyed the video please consider subscribing so that you don't miss the second part. Thanks for watching.



No comments:

Post a Comment